Thursday 27 October 2011

A Wee Bit about Ambience

I understand ambience to be linked to the atmosphere of a place or the character of some thing. I think that ambience and cooking are related to one another. Think about the last time you walked through the front door of your flat or house and smelt food cooking or something baking, doesn’t it create a warm and inviting atmosphere. For me personally there is nothing like getting home and walking through the front door and smelling something delicious like chicken soup or pineapple chicken cooking. Some people when they cook they play music to help them relax and it allows them to have fun atmosphere around them. So the ambience of an activity can simply be translated to essence: what is the essence of the activity?

Essence is the is the attribute or set of attributes that make an object or substance what it fundamentally is, and which it has by necessity, and without which it loses its identity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence).

The essence of cooking to me is the warmth that surrounds you when you cook. The room warms up, you feel warm, and you share that warmth with others when you cook for them. Another essence of cooking is that we do it survive. This essence of survival allows us to tend to others needs, meet our cultural expectations (if we have them) and it allows us to bring people together.

I think that cooking also defines us adults and gives us independence. You may be thinking how does cooking define as adults? Well I don’t know about you but I wasn’t expected to start learning how to cook or bake until I was around 13 and now that I flat, I feel that learning to cook at a young age has allowed me to be more prepared for the university lifestyle of fending for myself.

I think that with cooking a lot of it comes down to who you are and why you cook and what type or style of cooking you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment