Friday 21 October 2011

A Little Bit of Information about the Dukan Diet

As you know my activity is cooking but within this cooking activity I am following the Dukan Diet. I know you’re probably thinking “No not a diet, why bother?” but before you knock it carry on reading a little bit more about it first =)

I first read about the Dukan Diet a couple of months ago in a Woman’s Day magazine that I had bought. When I first read about it, I was quite intrigued by this diet that was created by Dr. Pierre Dukan and that in order to lose weight you just had to follow four different phases that he wrote. I automatically jumped on Google to try and find out more about this diet, but sadly to say there was not a lot of information that I hadn’t already read in the magazine. Just when I was about to give up I saw that there was a book that I could buy to learn more about it. I searched 5 different book shops in Auckland for this book but only one actually had the book in store. YAY I had finally found the book I was dying to read.

The Dukan Diet
Dukan (2010) states that the Dukan Diet can be broken down into four successive phases:

The Attack Phase – average length: 5 days
An initial Attack phase led by the ‘pure protein diet’ which creates a stunning kick-start, almost as quick as fasting or powdered proteins but without the drawbacks (Dukan, 2010).

The Cruise Phase – average length: 3 days for each pound you want to lose
A Cruise phase led by an ‘alternating protein diet’ when pure protein days alternate with pure proteins and vegetable days, which allows you to reach your chosen weight non-stop in one go (Dukan, 2010).

The Consolidation Phase – average length: 5 days per pound lost
Dukan (2010) states that when the weight that you have achieved is consolidated: a phase designed to prevent the rebound effect that occurs after any rapid weight loss. This is a period of high vulnerability when the body has a tendency  to very easily  regain the loss weight.

The Stabilisation Phase
Finally, and most importantly, permanent stabilisation based on 3 simple safety measures that are easy to follow but indispensible if the weight loss is to be maintained (Dukan, 2010).
Dukan (2010) states that these steps are:
  1. One pure protein day every Thursday for life
  2. No more lifts and escalators
  3. 3 tablespoons of oat bran a day
I know that the diet sounds intense but let me just say that this diet has been amazing for me and has helped me with my weight loss (which was why I was so interested in it). It has also allowed me to improve my general health and concentration.

References

Dukan, P. (2010). The dukan diet (pp. 1-13). London, England: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    As i have been following how diligently you have been following the diet...and i must say you are very good and i am impressed. I also feel that you are quite motivated by the diet. I think it is working for you in all levels, health wise, emotionally, confidence wise and feel good factor. That in itself is a good self-esteem builder. Maybe you can join other members online who are doing the Dukan diet and share some experiences. Great way to connect. well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    Hey this is sounds like a really interesting diet, I might have to give it go, but i don't know if I am as motivated as you are? I have noticed that you are really disciplied about what foods you can have on each day and it seems to be working for you, well done. :-)
    It's great there is a book you can read about it all, and I might have to borrow it off you sometime.

    ReplyDelete